Any advice for dilating eye drops (mydriatics)?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Aniridia

5 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

I am scared, have to see a eye consultant next week, who will be giving me eyedrops to enlarge my pupils....i am so scard it lasts for six hours .......cannot see much after the drops........................i witnessed a woman having a panic attack, 10 mins after the eyedrops were administered......any advice please asap....thank-you.................

Beginning of the discussion - 09/12/2020

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello cancer59, thank you for opening this discussion. Having your eyes dilated can be a stressful experience for sure! Let me tag some other members who can perhaps share some advice with you.

Hi everyone, how are you today? Have you ever been given dilating eye drops before an eye examination? Is there anything cancer59 should do to prepare? 
@Margaretmcguire@Subulade@Kathykirby@Hardon@Halfpint70@craft-y-nan@fred123@Kazzi7419@OliveJ@jhleeparis@ellenself28@lucky2014@Poshbirdy@Sanger@Iddybitty@Nina77@val7312@BShields

Please don't hesitate to share your advice here, we're all here to help one another!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

I've had to have these eye drops regularly for many years and I'm fortunate that I'm not bothered by them. But, I sometimes forget to have my sunglasses with me and because the drops dilate the pupils any light can be painful - sunlight excruciating.  So, always have sunglasses with you to wear until the dilation has worn off.  

Posted on

Hello thank-you so much for responding to me.....I had a lucky escape no eyedrops, needed, and 20=20 vision with glasses on......I was so grateful.... do have start of cataracts though......

Posted on

What is it about the drops that scares you? In case you need them in the future- here's my experience of them. They sting bit while first put in - a bit like getting lemon juice accidentally in your eye. That only lasts a few seconds before it wears off. Then my vision gets a little blurred, too blurred to drive so they advise public transport. I can still read on my Kindle - though I do have to make the font size several points larger. Then it takes about 2 - 3 hours for the drops to wear off and my pupils are back to normal function. I repeat - have sunglasses at the ready when you leave the clinic- even on a cloudy day daylight is painful as your pupils cannot react and close down.  

Posted on

Thank you very reassuring words for me.....