https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/ankylosing-spondylitis.jpg

Patients Ankylosing spondylitis

5 answers

Topic of the discussion

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

One of the symptoms of AS is lack of energy. It may prevent patients from sticking to their habits that they used to have before the diagnosis, like long walks, travelling, long family gatherings, etc.

Is there anything you had to change in your daily habits due to fatigue and lack of energy?

How do you cope with fatigue and lack of energy? What are you tips?

Beginning of the discussion - 5/24/18

Ankylosing spondylitis and energy levels
Carenity Member
Posted on

Hi, thank you for letting me join the forum!

I have had AS for 6 years now, and it does cause a lot of fatigue.. I had to get a part-time job as I couldn't work normal hours any more. What helps me, personally, is a hot bath at the end of the day. I add some salts and oils for relaxation.

Carenity Member
Posted on

I have had to modify my lifestyle a lot since I was finally diagnosed 6 years ago. I sleep when I have to sometimes all day but not at night. I'm coping with my life now mostly but my family still don't understand. So now I just have to do what I can when I can and not be ashamed of it. I live alone with one teenage daughter who says she feels lonely because of my condition. She wants to party and have friends over but this is hard on me. So I just have to hope that she will understand eventually. Hugs to anyone in this situation.

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

hi @malta03‍ rel="nofollow"@Hidden username‍ thank you for your comments!

@all: how do you cope with the lack of energy?

Carenity Member
Posted on

Sleep - a lot - nobody understands and friends  disappear - it is very lonely

Carenity Member
Posted on

Having suffered for a very long time with A.S. I have learned to cope with the lack of energy by taking things a bit slower... I don't rush around like I used to, everything now is taken at 'my pace'. If I feel energetic I may walk a little faster, the 'skip' has gone though....lol...lol. 

I personally think that everyone must learn to cope with whatever suits them best, not to worry about other people's thinking on 'what you should' be doing, It's what you find that suits YOU and only you. 

Painkillers will undoubtedly help, a little exercise may help. Ultimately it's YOUR preference as to how you deal with the lack of energy. Sleeping all day is not the answer, you must keep as active as possible. I know that sounds daft, 'keep as active as possible' when your eyes are on 'stalks', but if you 'tire' yourself a little, a refreshing sleep will come. If you let it?

Stay POSITIVE that always helps.

Take Care 

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join 150 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

It’s free and anonymous