Diabetes burnout: Have you ever been through it?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Diabetes (Type 2)

3 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

I am insulin controlled (!!) Type 2 with a few other things chucked in for added joy (fibro, RA, IBS, depression, anxiety...blah blah blah)

I don't bother taking meds very often (inc insulin)

I'm trying to figure out what on earth I'm playing at!

Read about diabetes burnout, eating disorders, depression  and awful consequences of not getting to grips with taking it.

It doesn't stop me!

I'm quite intelligent, want to feel well, have sought help, can read a sugar level monitor, can press my pen, am not scared of needles.......I don't know what is going through my head that stops me!

I know I should just "adult", put on my big girl pants and "just do it".....I just don't!

Maybe I use as a form of self harm? Maybe I want someone to care whether I take it or not?  Maybe its attention seeking? Maybe its attempted suicide without having to be brave?  Maybe I don't think anything really bad will happen to me? Maybe I haven't got time/will/energy to care an out me when I have so many other caring responsibilitie?  Maybe I'm lazy?  Maybe...maybe..maybe I should just stop arsing about and making excuses....

Please tell me what is the matter with me aside from being an epic failure!  Anybody else felt like this?  Any suggestions on how to improv

My HB thingy is around 130 average and my monoyor tells me to go to hospital a lot.  Obvs I don't waste anyone's time coz its my own fault.

Beginning of the discussion - 07/09/2021

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello @AllieI‍, thank you for opening this discussion and sharing what you've been going through. Diabetes is truly a mentally and physically demanding condition because it forces you to constantly think about your health and your diabetes. It can be really hard and overwhelming to manage it all and can take a toll on your mental health. Let me tag some other members who can possibly share their experience with this.

We recently published an article on diabetes' toll on mental health that you may find helpful: What influence does diabetes have on mental health?

Hi everyone, how are you doing? Have you ever struggled to find energy or motivation to manage your diabetes? Have you even experienced diabetes burnout? How did you get through it? What helps you to keep going and keep up with your diabetes management?
@Tracy766@Kaizersoza@Pennylein64@audieb@Mamarr@JALLOH@Midsonwm@Mellymel65@Helenmary@Bistos@richard0804@Chirambo123@Debi.K@TrudyL@Babyrhino53@Marxist@Darwin@Missteazel@Trollyman‍ 

Feel free to share with us here!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

Thanks Courtney

I've read the article...it inspired me to reach out here.

Allie

Posted on

I do forget to test my blood some times, apart from that i am managing okay as all is well with my diabetes.

Most commented discussions