https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/osteoarthritis.jpg

Patients Osteoarthritis

10 answers

Topic of the discussion

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

One of the treatments for osteoarthritis is weight management.

Losing weight can decrease pressure on bones and cartilage, and thus reduce pain.

Did you have to lose weight in order to improve your health? Did it help and in what way? How have you been managing your weight since?

Remember, that sharing your experience will help others find answers to their questions. emoticon wink

Beginning of the discussion - 04/09/2017

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

Too hard to lose weight by exercise, a very painful experience with every movement so gave up on that one

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

People with osteoarthritis and other illness's.  like this should be offered dietary advice and nutrition advice.  

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

I ride my bike and walk alot but the meds im on put weight on me ?

Weight management

Carenity Member
Posted on

i went to slimming world and lost 25 lbs which really helped my knees as apparently for eveery pound u lose its 4 pounds pressure on knees, so thats about 7 s tone of pressure:)

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on
Good advisor

It is not my own experiance, but I have seen a U Tube video for losing weight. 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vunigar in hot water with 2-3 slices of lemon, drunk every morning guarantees weight loss. For any one who is desperate to lose weight, and has not tried this,there is no harm in trying it. After all, it is just natural ingrediants. Just a thought I would like to share. I do not have weight problem, so I have not tried it myself. If you do not like the taste, you can always add a teaspoon of honey to it. Honey won't make you gain weight

nineteen_gale

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

Thanks for your helpful comments

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

I find it is important what ever your weight to exercise this builds muscle and provides extra support. Swimming is a great exercise especially if you have pain.  I have had 2 hip replacements and although I struggle to keep my weight down I walk every day swim twice a week and do circuits for over 50s for an hour once a week.  I feel much better for it.

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on

This is all great advice. My wife is struggling with weight gain since the symptoms really flared up. It's hard for her because we were a very active couple and I just want to support her. Has anyone tried any kind of water sports like aqua aerobics?

Weight management
Carenity Member
Posted on
Good advisor

Yes, I have tried Aqua aerobics, but not for weight loos but more for balance core and strengthen my legs and back. It was very therapeutic and I did enjoy it. The ladies in the class did say that it helped them with weight loss.  Swimming regularly also helps, not just weight loss but strengthening of muscles and aiding movements of all joints. Hope this helps.