Life after a joint replacement: Share your experiences and advice!

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Muscles / Skeleton / Joints

234 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

After number of years with osteoarthritis . I have had no choice but to have a hip replacement . Any one who had any helpful tips, recommendations or just a friendly ear for people to chat to all is welcome .

Beginning of the discussion - 21/11/2016

Posted on

I had a hip replacement 16 months ago due to osteoarthritis. I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made. Yes I was not looking forward to everything post op, but I am now 100% mobile and after not being able to walk any distances I now enjoy walking again and I've managed to lose 2.5 stones. Totally pain free and I've had lots of comments about how much happier I look - my face was obviously showing my pain. If you have any questions please ask! 

Posted on

Anyone had a knee replacement?

Posted on

Hi ladybear1 . Yes , had my right knee replaced in 2011 . New type of prosthesis , called Signature made in USA . Less blood loss , smaller incision , less painful and quicker recovery .

Posted on

Hello ladybear1, I have had both my knees replaced in the last two years, and it has to be the best thing to happen to me, as I can now walk without a limp, and I am totally pain free. I have to confess that it is at times a bit painful and you have to wonder was it worth it. But it all settles down and the results are wonderful. If you need yours done do not hesitate go for it.

Posted on

Thank you for your comments and reassurances,  funding is delaying the op but it's nice to know I have a future! I have just spent a week in New York with friends pushing me round in a wheelchair, not the easiest of cities to navigate and only noticed 1 other wheelchair out of thousands of people. One day I hope to return and WALK round the attractions.

Posted on

I hope you feel better soon and get sorted. Take care ladybear1x

Posted on

Thank you BeswickM

Posted on

hi , I have o/a in both of my knees  but I'm still able to walk despite the pain and stiffness. Do I have a replacement now or wait until it's worse?

I'm concerned that having the op could jeopardise my quality of life.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted on

Hi aglowlady, Yes, this concerns me too. I see many people still using two sticks and walking stiffly AFTER the op and wonder if it would be worth it?

Most commented discussions