Osteoarthritis of the knee

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Muscles / Skeleton / Joints

Posted on
Good advisor

I sympathise , my husband has had problems with his knee for ten years and was told he was to young for a replacement . After a few years and a change of consultant he was given pain killing injections but he developed diabetes as a result and has heart problems .He went to see another consultant at a different hospital yesterday .He is reluctant to do a full replacement because of his other health problems but is going to do key hole surgery on it in z month  and see how that goes . Don't let the experts fob you off or you might end up in the same situation which is ridiculous and the stupid thing is that in the long run it will cost the NHS more

Posted on

I have been given an appointment with the Orthopaedic consultant regarding my feet and knees to see if anything can be done to make my mobipity better and less painful. I can only hope that they can offer some form of solution to help me at the moment

Posted on

Annie83 

Hi there, I got a full knee replacement on the 22nd of Sept at the Royal golden jubilee hstp. I am now into my 3 weeks recovery, still sore !! My advise to you is when you are in hstp take pain killers when given and more plenty of ice bags, do not be in pain. I unfortunately was in pain told nurse whatever she was giving me was not working was ignored. Pain got that bad I had to get a procedure done called Hunters canal block. Thank god it worked, so the min u feel pain ring the buzzer and insist on something. On the plus side I am now walking round the square where I live 3 times a day but I have no patience want to do everything myself

Posted on
Good advisor

Hi all, I'm in shock while reading of all your pain and waiting for replacements. Have been pain free for about 3 weeks now, is it due to the turmeric I've been taking since seeing the tv show I'm a Doctor, or the gabapentin started about 3 months ago?  I don't know but am grateful. Am now exercising a bit more and still no pain.  Be encouraged and have hope. 

Posted on

Very good points JennyL, good luck to you

Posted on

Hi All  

I have worsening osteoarthritis in both knees and suspect that the bone is now rubbing on bone. I already take vegetarian glucosamine and Omega 3 oil capsules and have read and heard a lot about the benefits of turmeric.  Does anybody have experience of taking turmeric and has it helped?

Posted on
Good advisor

@juliamac‍ 

yes, I was told in Aug. 2015 that my knee is bone on bone and that I needed TKR. I started taking Turmeric supplements as well as Turmeric milk and i found it very helpful. The pain is greatly reduced and I am able to walk and exercise freely without much pain. I vouch for Turmeric. How ever you need to check with your GP before starting Turmeric to ensure that it does not interfere with prescription medication you are taking. Also if you are on blood thinners you need to exercise caution as Turmeric in itself is a blood thinner. Dietary Turmeric is safe in small doses though. Regular exercises, water based exercises also help a great deal Be positive is important too. Hope this helps.

Christina 

Posted on

My wife is suffering from a  cracking sound when she climbs the stairs and she is only 38. This has gone on for 3 years now and our GP was not helpful at all or supportive, instead he told her she is getting old🤨. 

She has seen a Physiotherapist privately on some occasions due to her company's Private Health Insurance Scheme, and takes Glucosamine Chondroitin Complex Extra Strength from Holland and Barrett, as advised by my cousins wife, a Pharmacist.

It is worrying as I don't drive because of epilepsy,  so she is using her legs more and quoting her " I worry that I will be unable to walk by age 60".

Most commented discussions