Increased risk of getting COVID-19 by taking immunosuppressive drugs?

https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/osteoarthritis.jpg

Patients Osteoarthritis

3 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hello everyone, my wife has osteoarthritis and is being treated with biologic injections and a few other medications.

I hope this hasn't already been discussed, but all the information I see indicates that certain drugs used to treat osteoarthritis, such as biologics, JAK inhibitors and corticosteroids, may contribute to an increased risk or severity of viral infection. Is this true?

Have you received any advice from your doctor about the risks of treatment? Wouldn't it be better to stop treatment in this case? What do you think?

Thank you very much for your help, really... these days my wife has me quite worried, because she can't really do her usual routines, I wouldn't want there to be any problem with her treatment...

Beginning of the discussion - 24/04/2020

Posted on

@bobM1972 Hello bobM1972, thank you for creating this discussion, I think this is indeed an important question to ask! Let me tag some members who may be able to share their thoughts and advice with you:

Hello members, I hope you don't mind that I've tagged you here. Do you have any advice for Bob? Have you heard anything from your doctor about the potential risks for the virus caused by your osteoarthritis medications? what do you think?

@Ali2376@cazmarelda@Khursh@newonecopd@Karen71@Lynlynne@TylerMacHamilton@kellee55@lotsapain80@StMary@Peter120@Ymalco@Binbin@StrongTea@Jane61@Newton@Deet56@Lamarina08‍ 

Take care,

Courtney

Posted on

Hi Bob,

I am the UK. It is good you raised the question. although l have not heard anything about those meds in relation to Covid-19. Here in the UK we can ring our own GPs to get advice or ring 111 and have a doctor/nurse who can answer our concerns and queries.

I hope you can access guidance off your doctor, pharmacist or one of the support agencies online.

Hope you find the answer.  

Take care.

Posted on
Good advisor

Hi Bob

I know that cortico steroids reduces the immunity and there for makes you more vulnerable and susceptible. Sorry, I don't know about the other 2 drugs. I am sure you will be able to get that information from your GP or health care provider, even your local pharmacist. good luck.