https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/rheumatoid-arthritis.jpg

Patients Rheumatoid arthritis

8 answers

Topic of the discussion

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on

Hello. There are many  levels of treatments for RA: NSAIDs, Steroids, DMARDs, and Biologic agents, and within each level, many different options.

Please share what type of treatment you have used and/or use? 

Please discuss its success.

Any Side Effects? Would you recommend this treatment?

Beginning of the discussion - 7/16/19

What treatments do you/have you used? Success?
Carenity Member
Posted on

@Hidden username For me it has been very difficult to find a treatment that works but is also safe. I have two other conditions, one of which is lupus, so I am already on a very large amount of medication that I have to be cautious of potentially bad interactions with :/

Carenity Member
Posted on

It's not easy, was diagnosed in 2006, I have been on 25mg of methotrexate constantly for over 10 years. 12 other medications have been tried with the latest being Olumiant Barcitnib which is good for movement but doesn't control RA well and has affected metabolism so have had steady weight gain since taking. Will hopefully get this changed soon as now get told I'm overweight. 

Carenity Member
Posted on

I’m on methotrexate for sarcoidosis and Enbril for rheumatoid arthritis. Maybe I trust my medic TOO much, I’m hoping they are working 

Carenity Member
Posted on

The general rule is that if your meds are working they leave them unchanged. I hope I don't worry anyone with my comments.  My stupid body has a natural resistance to any drug and I always need higher doses than someone who is normal. 

Carenity Member
Posted on

Hi Beagle, I'm just the same as you. My body is just not taking Rheumatoid medications,Methotrexate messed my blood count up,leflunomide put me in hospital, etc.So today I have been prescribed Fentanyl Patches, not just because of the Fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I have such a lot of pain from different kind of medical conditions. Have  you any idea how long the  Fentanyl Patches take to work. I really am in bloody agony. Hope things are not too bad for you and you can have a good day. Take Care. Glojo. 

Carenity Member
Posted on

Just got taken off Olumiant Barcitnib at last, I couldn't handle the weight gain anymore and though the Dr did not agree, I thought it was too high a price to pay. I am now on Tofacitnib 5mg twice a day, I don't think my flare ups are as well controlled but its early days, been on it one month and have already lost half the weight I gained and feel much better. 

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on

Hello @Hidden username‍ ,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know it's early yet, but have you experienced any side-effects from Tofacitinib (aka Xeljanz for those who might know it by that name)?

Carenity Member
Posted on

Anyone have experience with biologics for rheumatoid arthritis? Like infliximab or others? I'm considering, but would like to hear others words.