Ulcerative colitis and diet: Foods to enjoy, foods to avoid?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Ulcerative colitis

7 answers

Topic of the discussion

• Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

As ulcerative colitis is a digestive system disorder, it is only natural that people suffering with it should be careful about their eating habits. Even if there is no scientific proof that a special diet can treat or slow the progression of ulcerative colitis, it is highly recommended to have a well-balanced, healthy diet.

What can you tell us about your personal diet? What kind of food do you prefer? How often do you eat and in what quantities?

Share your tips and ask questions - this is what Carenity is about! wink.png

And here is an article on the types of food you need to avoid if you suffer with ulcerative colitis. Don't hesitate to comment and share your ideas wink.png

Beginning of the discussion - 19/04/2017

Posted on

I don't follow a special diet but I try to eat as healthy as possible. I don't drink alcohol, neither do I drink any sodas and such. No fat oily food neither, caus it makes my symptoms worse. Other thatn that, nothing special.

Posted on

When I have a  flare up i follow an scd diet it helps me get back on track 

Posted on

I am currently trying to heal my body by following the Fodmap diet and am gluten free and dairy free. The improvement is marked. 

• Community manager
Posted on

@Crazyjayne That's great that you are finding a difference.

Do any other members have diet tips that helped them?

Posted on

Hi all, I've just joined. Is anyone else on here vegan? I've had UC since I was born. While at uni I went vegetarian and it really helped me so I decided to go vegan.  Except I didn't really know what I was doing, so I finally recently saw a nutritionist over video call and she's helping me understand how to be vegan when you have UC.

Has anyone else tried a vegan diet? Is it working for you?

Posted on

@TiffyT Hi, I have just joined and I am vegetarian but mostly cook and eat vegan food. I was only diagnosed a year ago and still feel a bit in the dark about it all tbh. I have it mildly I was told though. When trying to read up on the right kind of diet I felt it was in most cases opposite to what I eat. Really need help to understand what diet will help! 

Most commented discussions