Cancer and the Coronavirus

https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/cancer.jpg

Patients Cancer

33 answers

Topic of the discussion

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello dear members,

While the Coronavirus epidemic concerns many across the UK (and Carenity members too), I've created this discussion to allow you to talk specifically about the virus in the context of cancer, as we all know that patients can be weakened by their treatments.

Have you received any special instructions from your doctor regarding your care? Are you going to limit your travel? Do you have any advice for others?

Take care,

Courtney

Beginning of the discussion - 18/03/2020

Posted on

I’m just at the hospital about to start radiotherapy.     I am self isolating apart from these appointments everyday.   My last chemo was November will radiotherapy make me more susceptible?

Posted on

@Homelovingirl Hello dear, I wouldn't think that it would have an impact on your immune system, I've only heard that it can affect your immune system and make you more vulnerable if the radiation is aimed specifically at your bones. Not to worry, just keep washing your hands and self-isolating like you've been doing! Keep your chin up!

Posted on

Is it true oncology is leaving patients over 70 yrs without treatment wile Coronavirus as gone

Posted on

@Lucy20 I haven't heard that this is the case myself, but in any crisis situation hospital staff are trying to maximise the number of lives saved and they often must focus resources where they are likely to save the most people. So often they have to prioritise treatment for those who are most likely to respond well and recover quickly to vacate the bed for the next incoming patient so overall more lives are saved. I believe they are more at this stage in Italy or France, but not yet in the UK. If we all do our best and respect the social distancing measures we may be able to avoid getting to that point.

Posted on

@Courtney_J I had a mastectomy lady year and only treatment I have is I’m on tamoxifen for 5 years should I be isolated 

Posted on

I should have started radiotherapy on 19th March for Prostrate cancer, But i have ME/CFS with also Angina & they have postponed my treatment, I'm to continue with Hormone injections every 3mths, In Dec I was told my Cancer was causing a little ballooning & on verge of spreading, now being told better to extend hormone treatment because of this, so worried it might have spread

Posted on

I'm taking anastrozole, I've heard conflicting views that I should isolate as it can affect immunity. Had anyone else been told this?

Posted on

I'm having Decapeptyl injections & was told by a medical person to self isolate because of this & the fact I have ME/CFS. I receive DLA so classed as disabled but have not had the text from Gov to say I'm classed as vulnerable so don't know what to think

• Community manager
Posted on

@Mariep @maddoglady Hello Mariep and maddoglady, the NHS has stated that if you're considered to be at high risk, you will be contacted by this Sunday, 29th March. The recommend that you do not contact your GP or healthcare team at this stage to try to avoid them getting overwhelmed with calls.

Please everyone keep each other informed on how you are doing, it is important that we gather strength from one another and support each other through this difficult period.

Most commented discussions