https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/depression.jpg

Patients Depression

9 answers

Topic of the discussion

Carenity Member
Posted on

I have been taking amitriptylines for almost 7 months, and I find it very tiring. I am constantly exhausted, and I have read on many forums about this type of inconvenience with taking it. It is a sedative antidepressant...so it works very well on anxiety, but with the down side of not being at all stimulating.

Thank you in advance to those who take this medicine for telling me how they feel.

Beginning of the discussion - 1/30/19

Amitriptyline

Carenity Member
Posted on
Hi Eddyyy, Amitriptyline was the first anti depressant I took many years ago. It worked great for me for the first few months but then the side effects got worse. I did suffer some tiredness (but on the flip side I had also not been sleeping well before taking them and I started sleeping a lot better on them), but I also had other side effect like extremly low blood pressure. I was always told to take them in the evening so I'd get the benefit of sleeping better and lessening any tiredness in the daytime. In the end I went back to the doctors and went through other antidepressants until we found one that worked and had less side effects. I'd recommend going back to your doctor if the side effects are getting too much for you. There are other tricyclic antidepressants that may work just as well but with less side effects.
Amitriptyline
Carenity Member
Posted on

@Hidden username Thank you for responding to me. Yes, I find I do sleep better with them but I need at least 12 hours of sleep which frankly, is not possible. 

I think that I will have to go back to my doctor, the quality of my life is really slipping as I feel like a zombie. Which is better; anxiety or zombie!?

Amitriptyline

Carenity Member
Posted on

The efffects and side effects of each different anti depressant vary from person to person. It could be a different TCA could leave you feeling less drowsy.

I eventually was prescribed citalopram (an SSRI) that had no drowsy side effects and other than a dry mouth, no other side effects after the first couple of months (I had about a week of really bad acid reflux and headaches when they upped the dose to fast).

Along with citalopram I was eventually prescibed  mirtazapine which would knock me out for the night.  I had problems waking up on it.  It was so hard to actually get myself to stay awake for the first few minutes of waking.  But after 5-10 mins I would be wide awake.  My friend also taking it had a different problem, again it was great for sleep, she could get up without my struggle but she would feel tired and sluggish all day.

It could mean you'll have to try a few different medications, maybe a different TCA or maybe a different type of anti depressant, but hopefully they can find you something that helps the anxiety without the zombie side effects.

Amitriptyline

Carenity Member
Posted on

Hi 

I took this after using es citalapram for years and it made me angry, biting at partner and leaving home and sleeping in car.

Amitriptyline
Carenity Member
Posted on

@Hidden username What medication did you try afterwards?

@Hidden username‍ Thank you for sharing with me, I made an appointment with my doctor to discuss other options. I was recommended sertraline by a friend, has anyone else tried this? 

Amitriptyline

Carenity Member
Posted on

I went back on escitalapram and had depikote added as a trial and that changed my mood to ok.

I manage for longer times between high and low moods but they seem to last longer

Amitriptyline
Carenity Member
Posted on

I have been on sertraline and so has a male work colleague who I could talk freely with.  The only issue we both had with sertaline was 'gentlemans issues'.

This could be in part to the issues that caused the need for sertaline.  In my case a private prescription to give me confidence settled the issue, in the case of my colleague a change of medication was needed.

Amitriptyline
Carenity Member
Posted on

I have taken so many different antidepressants in my life but I am on now 2 amitriptyline at night and I still cant sleep  it takes me ages to drift off but I suffer with loads of illnesses  take loads of different meds and I suffered with PTSD but now Ihave low moods anxiety because of my breast cancer but I'm on the waiting list to see a councillor I have had steps to change but now I have to wait till I can get a one to one it's difficult for me as the least little thing sets me off in tears since having a mastectomy  my depression is worse only feel like a half of a women  it's really hard and I still have nine more yrs for my all clear 

Amitriptyline
Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on

@Hidden username @Hidden username @Hidden username 

If you would like to learn more about any of your medications, then don’t hesitate to research it on our medications unit! There you can comment, evaluate and exchange with other members about this medication to learn about side effects, efficacy and much more! Our fact sheet about amitriptyline is available by clicking HERE. Don't hesitate to share your experiences :)