https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/osteoarthritis.jpg

Patients Osteoarthritis

Steroid injections for osteoarthritis
Carenity Member
Posted on

I have had the Steroid injections in both knees, but unfortunately they only last a couple of days and then am back to the pain.

Carenity Member
Posted on

I have had 3 Steroid injections in my big toe , first 2 very successful but due to extremely long wait in Welsh health service the last one did not do so well ,

Carenity Member
Posted on
Good advisor

@marguerita

Christina

Steroid injections in the knees take a couple of weeks before you can experience the benefit. Usually, the first one does not make all that much difference, but the 2nd and the 3rd one you can experience great benefit from it. At least, I certainly did. So don't lose heart, be patient, you might have delayed reaction.

Good luck

Christina

Carenity Member
Posted on

About eight weeks ago I had a steroid injection in my knee. The effect was almost immediate. I certainly walked out of the hospital a lot easier than when I walked in! It has worked superbly for me but only for 5 weeks then the pain started to return. As my consultant talked about having a review in 3 months, I wondered if it was possible to have these injections more regularly than every 3 months! 

Carenity Member
Posted on

Had knee steriod injection and worked well.   However was told not to repeat if i wanted a knee replacement.  If i did would ho back down list for 12 months!  I stopped had knee replacement. Worked extremely well. I was very good and did all my excerises andd back walking with stick after 6 weekes then only used stick if going out all day on my own.  Hard wirk and sometimes painful but very worth it. Now very pleased.  Still excerise .

Carenity Member
Posted on
Good advisor

@Hidden username‍ 

I‍ am afraid that is not a good idea. Steroid injection taken too frequently causes some side effects. It affects your eye sight needing a surgery. It also causes thinning of the bones, and it is definitely not a good idea to have these injections less frequently than 3 months.

Hope this helps.

nineteen_gale 

Carenity Member
Posted on

Thank you all for your input. I am certainly taking all your replies on board. I think as we are all individuals, what suits some people doesn’t suit all, and I’m afraid we all tend to do what gives us the greatest relief at the time. I know that this knee will be replaced at some time down the line, and as my surgeon wants to do my hip first, I guess he thought that the injections would give me a bit of relief for the time being until my new hip has healed and I’m ready for the new knee. I must add that both these joints will be on the same leg, my right one, and maybe he feels I will benefit from the stability of the new hip! Anyway thank you all, I still hope some of you will benefit from my experiences, so keep your input coming!

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

Hi everyone, if you have anything to add to this thread, you are more than welcome! emoticon wink

Carenity Member
Posted on

Had steroid injections twice in my knees. The first ones gave me six weeks relief. The second ones were agony for the first two days and then gave me three days relief! I am not a fan of steroid injections

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on

@Hidden username sorry to hear that they didn't work out. Have any other members experienced this?