https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

6 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hello members,

How are you today? emoticon cute

I thought I would open this discussion today to talk about emphysema!

For those who do not know, COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is actually an umbrella term used to describe a group of lung conditions that block airflow and make it difficult to breathe. Emphysema and chronic bronchitis are the two most common conditions making up COPD.

Emphysema is a progressive disease of the lungs caused by over-inflation of the alveoli (air sacs in the lungs). So, a person with emphysema has COPD, but not everyone with COPD has emphysema.

So, what about you? Do you have emphysema? How long have you had it? How are you doing today? 
@Rilian@Vi/john@Garden@Asando@Dorothy22@DJJohnJ@Brooke24@Jax1947@Baz51@Crissiem@Nicola84@Careinthecommunity@philcam@margaret44@kodinjet1@Cxdouglas@Jules4421@Rowena57@lordglen@TriciaDaff‍ 

T‍ake care,
Courtney 

Beginning of the discussion - 10/07/2020

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

@Courtney_J Hi Courtney, yes I have have emphysema, it was what led me to my COPD diagnosis, though I admit at the beginning I was very confused, I didn't know that COPD was actually a group of conditions. I've had it for many years now and I manage it pretty well with my inhalers.

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

@Courtney_J @mariejo I also have emphysema, I was diagnosed in 2018.

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

I was diagnosed earlier this year but it was a result of an xray during an investigation into another complaint. Ironically the other symptoms sorted themselves out, but I was left with the the copd /emphysema to manage. As I hadn't really had any issues prior to the diagnosis it is really in its early stages and well managed with an inhaler 

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

Hi.i have been struggling with COPD for three years .but i was getting treatment for asthma for around 5 years prior to my diagnosis i manage but it has stopped me doing the job I love and have dine for 20 years .its soul destroying some days are better than others .I don't drive but get around in taxis .I w8sh i could say there's a light at the end of the  tunnel, but im 48 yea4s ol and im afraid tha5s it for me.

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

I have both as well. Probably due to my many years as a smoker. The folly of youth, as they say...

COPD and Emphysema

Posted on

I have both Bronchiectasis and Emphysema. The Bronchiectasis started after I had whooping cough as a child, but the recurring chest infections were not picked up until around two years ago, and after working in industry for 40 years I was later diagnosed as having Emphysema, which came as quite a shock. 
prior to that I was always told that it was just asthma