Wearing a face mask with COPD: How to cope with it?

https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

23 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hello everyone, 

How are you today? emoticon cute

I thought I would open this discussion to talk about masks.

It can be difficult to adjust to wearing a mask when going out, especially for those with respiratory conditions like COPD.
Do you find it difficult to wear a mask? Does it aggravate or irritate your COPD? What do you do? Do you have any tips or techniques to make it more comfortable? Has your GP given you any advice? 
@teebsybhoy@Sheilamarsh@Cathymac@Bigman@rpt1952@madmazz14@madmaz@Chutneymaster@elise2018@Gareth0425@normabray@Jack17@June1958@Deano36@Gillybeanz@Eileen65@Susan6@Mandy9@Angliz‍ 

Feel free to share your experiences and advice here!

Take care,
Courtney

Beginning of the discussion - 17/09/2020

Posted on

@Courtney_J It's been hard for me. I already struggle with breathlessness, but with the mask at first it was even worse. My GP recommended that I "practice" wearing it at home where I'm comfortable and that did help. I at least don't have that feeling of panic when I put it on. I also made sure to get one that's moisture-wicking, because once it gets a bit wet from my breath it makes it even worse. I really do try to my best to wear it and make my trips the shops and things quick.

Posted on

I only wear it when necessary - entering the Spa Grocers or the Post Office

Posted on
I find wearing a protective visor better,

Posted on

I had difficulty breathing in a mask, But I found a bandana type face covering so much easier to breathe in

Posted on

I just wear one when I absolutely need to

Posted on

I find a visor much more comfortable than a mask, especially since my glasses don’t steam up

Posted on

@cookiemonster @Mikest Face shields and visors seem to be a popular option for those with respiratory conditions. Where did you find them? Are they easily available at the pharmacy or did you have to purchase them online?

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

I bought my two visors online from Amazon. As I recall they were about £5 each, although some much more expensive ones are also available

Posted on

I purchased plastic frames that fit snuggly under the mask and off your face.

You can purchase them from Amazon