Breast cancer and self-esteem: Advice and support

https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/breast-cancer.jpg

Patients Breast cancer

8 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

New to this forum, I've been having a very difficult time lately, emotionally, after the surgery...I can't help being disgusted at my own body and it makes me depressed and angry. I live alone, don't have a partner, and don't know how I'll ever get one now. am I the only one who is so depressed because of that??

Beginning of the discussion - 04/08/2017

Posted on

I can really relate to what you say. I'm single too (happy to be!) but the thought of dating again in the future seems impossible. I'm ok with my body (fortunately I only needed a lumpectomy) but losing my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes have left me feeling very unfeminine and has knocked my confidence.

Some days I'm ok with it, then other days I catch sight of myself in the mirror and think "oh Sh*t!"

For the time being I'm just focussing on finishing my treatment and then I'll worry about getting out and about again. 

Posted on

I am single and had a lumpectomy , chemo and radiotherapy. Despite a cold cap I lost most of my hair, eyebrows, appetite, etc. I looked pasty faced and when faced with the glamour models who tragically had breast cancer while young, walk out with incredible bone structure, make up etc- very brave and they look fantastic- but I looked nothing like that.  I got a wig and wore it everywhere and most people had no idea. It Did wonders for my self confidence and I did not take it off for a year - because I looked so good in it. It was a big thing to take it off but by then my hair had one back pretty much like it was before. So ladies- go forward - it will come right- it is only time! 

Posted on

Hi,

i do understand how you feel. I had a mastectomy recently and opted for recon from my tummy. The Breast is too big and is heavy and droopy, no nipple, I cant wear fitted tops.  I need more adjustments. Have a scar from hip to hip..But when I feel sorry for myself I just think about the fact I am alive. Hair grows back my lovely. Stay positive x

Posted on

We all need to stay strong - as we need to keep going for ourselves and loved ones.  As for the models - I had my make-up done at a look good feel good afternoon and I looked fab - even had eyebrows.  It will take each and everyone of use time to get use to the new us.

Stay strong and positive ladies  xx

Posted on

@Fighting@Angel2123@Margaret1@Cartwheels@brunette007‍ 

Hello ladies,

I hope you're feeling well lately and I wish you all a great Breast Cancer Awareness month!

Posted on

Hi I'm just coming back to say I was bad off when I made this thread and now things are so much better. Don't lose hope, ladies. How are is everyone else out there? Survivors? Newly diagnosed?

Posted on

Hello everyone, 

How are you today? Have you seen this older discussion? emoticon cute

Has breast cancer had an impact on your self-esteem? How have you managed to reconnect to your "new" body?
@Lulu61@Saalex@Karen77@Joanne52@Mariep@Willowfluffbud@Hakamathma74@Junie1@Anniejac@Dempca@wolfchick1983@Mel1960@AudreyFarmer@Janemary@FaithHope77@DramaProducer‍ 

Feel free to share and exchange in the comments below!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

@Courtney_J I completely understand what everyone has described and I'm a bit in that place myself. I finished this round of chemo not long ago and I've lost all my hair and it's just so hard some days. I try to remember that I'm strong and that hair doesn't define me and that I won't let this cancer defeat me. Talking to friends or others who have been through cancer helps too. Stay strong ladies! xx