How to maintain the mask...

https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/depression.jpg

Patients Depression

56 answers

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi all. I'm new here so be gentle...

I have carefully sculpted a very effective mask over the years. It has hidden so so much from the world and loved ones. I feel it slipping. How do you keep your mask in place??

Beginning of the discussion - 16/08/2015

Posted on
Good advisor

Hello Mate !

I think that it part of being human to have a ' mask ' . Part of being concious , there's our inner world , how we feel , and the outer world , how we act . If not , we would be little more than animals , like a lot of people in fact .

Recently I read  ' Conciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind '  by Julian Jaynes . You may find it enlightening  ( and it's free on pdf  ) . If so inclined  , give it a bash  . If you manage to get through it ,  give us some feedback , I found it kind of gentle , and also moving .

ian59

Posted on

Hello and thanks

I will look that book up and give it a whirl...

Mark

Posted on
Good advisor

My mask has slipped so many times this past few months but I just carry on the best I can . 

Posted on
Good advisor

Good evening to you all , I hope the nice weather has lifted your spirits :-)

Posted on

I wear many masks, parent, employee,friend and me, very hard sometimes to wear the me one.

Posted on

At  the age of 53 when I came out from behind my I am a strong black woman mask, and decided it was time to tell all, no one believed me :(

Posted on

Most of the time my mask is still firmly in place. However, it does slip on occasions but then, I feel like I'm moaning to my friends.

Posted on
Good advisor

I need to design myself a new mask - for ten years I have worn the mask of a capable, cope with anything life throws, organized, supportive woman.  My heart problems in June meant I had to wind up my business and consider myself 'retired', 7 months before planned.  I didn't realise how this much this would throw me - I need to adopt the mask of housewife, carer and incorporate personal disability in there somewhere - so far, I am a bit lost with it all..........................

Posted on

That's it ..I too am wearing a mask and the me one only comes on when I am on my own in bed...lost my dad 2years ago followed by my youngest son 6 weeks after. Just before my sons first anniversary found out my husband was having an affair then my lloyal trusted dog died...and my usually say is I'm fine ...but I'm not.. I am crumbling under that mask.

Most commented discussions