Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag en
flag fr flag es flag de flag it flag us
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

Who are we?
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookies management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Living with anxiety and other mental illnesses
  • Talking therapies, have they worked for you?
 Back
Living with anxiety and other mental illnesses

Talking therapies, have they worked for you?

  •  89 views
  •  6 times supported
  •  18 comments
avatar exit

Unregistered member

Edited on 17/11/2015 at 01:25

I would like to gauge peoples opinions of talking therapies. Have you had any and how did they help, if indeed they did?

I first became aware of my depression at the age of 43 which was 3 years ago. I don't remember too much detail of my life during this period and the best way I have described this to people who have never suffered depression was it was like an out of body experience. After waiting for around 12 weeks I finally got to see a therapist on the NHS and we started a program of CBT. I so wanted some answers to why I was feeling the way I felt. At the beginning the therapy created more questions than answers and opened up a can of worms of emotions (some may say this is good as I had little or no emotion at this time) however I wasn't prepared for this buried information to be brought out. The biggest issue was the NHS only allocated me 10 sessions and after these sessions were completed I was left alone with some new coping techniques and identification of triggers but no therapist to lean on. Since this treatment I seem to have been on a merry go round of stabilizing and then sinking deeper into depression with now anxiety and lack of self esteem coming in as well. I can't help but feel a little lost with suppressed feelings awakened but no therapy to help me. I have now started to look into paying privately for therapy as I do believe in its benefits as a crutch to myself. I have also heard of the benefits of hypnotherapy to get into the deep sub-concious mind to unravel deep buried feelings. Have any of you tried hypnotherapy and if so did it work. In fact please feel free to discuss any alternative therapies that you have used to help with depression and rate their success as I want to turn to one again soon as I need the support of something other than drugs

Follow

Other groups...

All things Christmas
Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
Good to know
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
News from the media
Procedures and Paperwork
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Survey

On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend Carenity to a friend or colleague?

All comments

Go to the last comment
avatar exit

Unregistered member

03/11/2015 at 12:36

I felt talking therapies were a waste of time. I have had too many tragic events happen in my life so the bad memories will always exist.


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-03 12:36:13
avatar exit

Unregistered member

03/11/2015 at 13:09

Thank you dunrunin for your opinion and I wish you well for the future. I guess I am still searching for my answer and I hope you find yours too

 


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-03 13:09:22
avatar exit

Unregistered member

04/11/2015 at 17:32

I had talking therapy, and after I was told I was making it all up, I turned to cutting myself. That's Tameside Mental Health team for ya!


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-04 17:32:48

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

04/11/2015 at 21:28

Good advisor

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

Last activity on 01/09/2022 at 20:51

Joined in 2015


187 comments posted | 122 in the Living with anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi I'm Lee, from Hartlepool plus take no tablets and have complex PTSD combined with Military PTSD.  For me I have been left 22 years untreated and had reports from combat stress sent to doctors only to be ignored.. But I have recovered 90% on my own. Good to meet you all. :)

See the signature

Lee


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-04 21:28:46
avatar exit

Unregistered member

05/11/2015 at 13:26

i have depression, anxiety and a bunch of other problems.  A lot of it I think comes from loneliness and isolation.  It's probably my fault and I act the way that comes naturally to me. In my opinion, connection is the root of all this.  Most people have a need to belong.  I don't feel I belong anywhere .


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-05 13:26:56
avatar exit

Unregistered member

05/11/2015 at 21:24

I have been to therapy a few times but decided to stop attending due to the fact that I felt that therapy was a complete waste of time and I didn't understand how talking to some stranger for an hour or so was supposed to help.


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-05 21:24:12
avatar exit

Unregistered member

05/11/2015 at 21:41

Thanks for all the contributions. Has anyone got anything positive to say about talking therapy or even hypnotherapy as these are the areas I have read about and am tempted to try. I just don't want to feel even more vulnerable afterwards so I guess I am looking for some reassurance 


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-05 21:41:04

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

Edited on 05/11/2015 at 22:29

Good advisor

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

Last activity on 01/09/2022 at 20:51

Joined in 2015


187 comments posted | 122 in the Living with anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

I have found that if talking therapies don't Help, then You need to dig a little deeper into your individual trauma and look for that help followed by talking therapies Plus Mindfulness. Then you will lead the way. :)   

See the signature

Lee


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-05 22:19:15

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

05/11/2015 at 22:26

Good advisor

avatar Teefroofeang80

Teefroofeang80

Last activity on 01/09/2022 at 20:51

Joined in 2015


187 comments posted | 122 in the Living with anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Moonsense I feel you..;) 

See the signature

Lee


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-05 22:26:50
avatar exit

Unregistered member

06/11/2015 at 12:49

I have found talking therapies really useful, when you see a therapist you don't need to worry about hurting your loved ones when speaking what is on your mind.


Talking therapies, have they worked for you? https://www.carenity.co.uk/forum/other-discussions/living-with-behavioural-disorders-mental-illne/talking-therapies-have-they-worked-for-you-608 2015-11-06 12:49:33
  • 1
  • 2

Give your opinion

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Survey

On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend Carenity to a friend or colleague?

Articles to discover...

Types of lupus explained: systemic, cutaneous, drug-induced and neonatal lupus

09/10/2026 | News

Types of lupus explained: systemic, cutaneous, drug-induced and neonatal lupus

Benefits Of Doing Nothing: Why Rest Matters for Your Mental and Physical Health

02/10/2026 | News

Benefits Of Doing Nothing: Why Rest Matters for Your Mental and Physical Health

Medications That Cause Low Libido: A Guide by Drug Category

28/09/2026 | News

Medications That Cause Low Libido: A Guide by Drug Category

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

24/09/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

NHS - Get help with prescription costs

12/11/2019 | Procedures & paperwork

NHS - Get help with prescription costs

Diclofenac to become a prescription drug

21/01/2015 | News

Diclofenac to become a prescription drug

Opioids Causing Concerns, Problems for Chronic Pain Patients

14/10/2016 | News

Opioids Causing Concerns, Problems for Chronic Pain Patients

Do you have the winter blues?

21/10/2014 | News

Do you have the winter blues?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

Your subscription has been taken into account

Join now! Log in

About

  • Who are we?
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookies management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag de flag es flag it flag us

The www.carenity.co.uk website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.