https://www.carenity.co.uk/static/themes-v3/default/images/en/header/multiple-sclerosis.jpg

Patients Multiple sclerosis

5 answers

Topic of the discussion

Carenity Member • Community manager
Posted on
Good advisor

This discussion will be dedicated to MS patients who use wheelchair full-time or occasionally. Here you can share your experience and tips, as well as encouragement and support for those who have just started using wheelchairs.

You are welcome to discuss different issues related to wheelchair use:

• at what moment did you decide to use a wheelchair, at what age?
  • did you go directly to full time usage or started with part-time?
  • what kind of wheelchair did you opt for - manual or motorised?
  • psychological aspect of starting to use a wheelchair: how did you cope?

I think it would be helpful for some members to be able to share their thoughts and to have a place to ask questions.

Thank you all in advance for your contribution!

Beginning of the discussion - 5/29/18

MS: wheelchair use
Carenity Member
Posted on

I use a wheelchair sometimes.Mostly when I have to go for a hospital appointment as the car parks are to far away from where I need to be and I have trouble walking more than few steps.When I need to go shopping I usually use a mobility scooter

Posted on
Good advisor

Hi @Hidden username‍ thank you for sharing your experience!

Carenity Member
Posted on

My husband (who is the MS sufferer) started using a manual wheelchair approx 10 years ago when we went on holiday, as he had problems walking, he was pleasantly surprised at how he was treated and how much more he got to do or see. He then progressed onto a power chair which was even better. Unfortunately he suffered a stroke in 2014, which effected his right side so he’s no longer able to use the power chair! So it’s back to me pushing the manual. 

Posted on
Good advisor

Hi @Hidden username‍ 

thank you for sharing!

Do you have any trouble with access to certain places or do you find most of them well-adapted for wheelchairs?

Carenity Member
Posted on

I am awaiting an MS nurse to come and look at what wheelchair I need. I believe it will be motorised as I haven’t any use of my dominant hand.

i have been using a rollator and find is more and more difficult 

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join 149 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition
or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join

It’s free and anonymous